By Chip Berlet
Political Research Associates
Charged with the fatal shooting of abortion provider Dr. George Tiller in a church in Wichita, Kansas, last Sunday morning, Scott Philip Roeder is a regular consumer of conservative talk radio, television, and websites. But did Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck—or any other commentator whipping up an audience with overheated demonizing rhetoric—actually help pull the trigger?
It’s not that simple, explains Chip Berlet, senior analyst for the independent think tank Political Research Associates (PRA), in a new study entitled Toxic to Democracy: Conspiracy Theories, Demonization, and Scapegoating. “They are not legally culpable for the assassination of Dr. Tiller, says Berlet, “but they must share some portion of moral responsibility for creating a dangerous environment."
According to Berlet:
"Right-wing pundits demonize scapegoated groups and individuals in our society, implying that it is urgent to stop them from wrecking the nation. Some angry people in the audience already believe conspiracy theories in which the same scapegoats are portrayed as subversive, destructive, or evil. Add in aggressive apocalyptic ideas that suggest time is running out and quick action mandatory and you have a perfect storm of mobilized resentment threatening to rain bigotry and violence across the United States."
Read the entire Media Release Here
- AlternativeRight.com: Paleoconservatism for the 21st Century
- Golden Dawn’s fascist ideology
- Jack Donovan on men: a masculine tribalism for the far right
- Who are Ukraine's fascists?
- Moscow conference draws fascists, neo-Confederates, U.S. leftists
- Rightists woo the Occupy Wall Street movement
- White nationalists praise Golden Dawn
- Trump: “anti-political” or right wing?
- Trump's impact: a fascist upsurge is just one of the dangers
- Ukraine's upheaval: between fascists, neoliberals, and Kremlin tools
DOCUMENTS (mostly on other sites)
- An American National Bolshevik (Loren Goldner)
- Anti-Repression, Anti-Fascist Strategizing Suggestions (mamos206)
- Anti-Semitism and the Revolutionary Right (Kersplebedeb)
- Barack, Badiou, and Bilal al Hasan (Don Hamerquist)
- Ecofascism: Lessons from the German Experience (Janet Biehl and Peter Staudenmaier)
- Exodus and Reconstruction: Working-Class Women at the Heart of Globalization (Bromma)
- Fascism & Anti-Fascism (Don Hamerquist)
- For Women Only: After Anti-War Movements win or lose in Iraq...there's still Women (Butch Lee)
- Notes on Women and Right-Wing Movements (Matthew Lyons)
- The Shock of Recognition (J. Sakai)
- Two Ways of Looking at Fascism (Matthew Lyons)
- ► 2015 (11)
- ► 2014 (12)
- ► 2013 (19)
- ► 2012 (15)
- ► 2011 (21)
- "Black National Socialism is No Utopia"
- Toxic to Democracy: Conspiracy Theories, Demonizat...
- Of Tea-Parties and Patriots: Liberty for who?
- New Haven, CT: Immigrant Advocates, White Supremac...
- Anti-Racists call for opposition to NSM conference...
- Lawyer: FBI Trained Hal Turner As An "Agent Provoc...
- National Socialist Movement internal emails posted...
- 10 years of Crazy Baldhead Sound System
- Louis Proyect: Thoughts on the town hall disruptio...
- ▼ August (9)
- ► 2008 (79)
- ► 2007 (32)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (34)
Powered by Blogger.